Cheap Candy at WalmartPosted: March 5, 2010
I’m not talking about Almond Joy or Snickers bars at discount prices. I’m talking about Hard Candy cosmetics. Hard Candy was an early pioneer in the now-booming independent cosmetic companies industry. They were largely responsible for the funky-colored nail polish craze of the mid-to-late-Nineties when they introduced their iconic nail polish, in unusual colors like bright blue and mint green, with matching jelly rings. First sold in department stores like Nordstroms, and later in Sephora, Hard Candy underwent a few changes in ownership before disappearing altogether from high-end cosmetic stores. Now Hard Candy has reappeared as a prestige makeup line sold exclusively at Walmart. While shopping at my local Walmart this week, I discovered that Hard Candy is a little funkier and a lot less expensive than they used to be.
Hard Candy has undergone a makeover since it disappeared from Sephora. Their new look has a hard-edged, rock’n’roll feel, using the tattoo-art style that’s all the rage these days. (Ironically, Urban Decay, the other indie makeup line behind the funky nail polish color craze, started out edgy and eventually transformed into a more mainstream-looking line). The Hard Candy display at Walmart is hard to miss. It’s chock full of gorgeous eye, lip, and face colors, as well as their famous nail polishes (jelly rings still included). The good news is that the prices range from between $5 and $10. I couldn’t resist snatching up several products. The results of my Hard Candy haul are:
- * Sheer Envy Tinted Moisiturizer in Light, a light shade with pink undertones ($8.00)
- * Just Nails Nail Color in Hypnotic, a pale pink with iridescent sparkles ($5.00)
- * Button Your Lip Brush-On Push Button Lip Gloss Pen (identical to Stila’s Lip Glaze) in Maven, a nude pink, with bonus automatic Lip Liner in Berry, a pale pink ($8.00)
- * In the Shadows eyeshadow trio with mini kohl eyeliner pencil in Eye Love You, featuring off-white, pale nude, and medium brown shades ($6.00)
- * Blush Crush Baked Blush in Honeymoon, a pinky peach similar to Nars’ Orgasm (as alluded to in the name) ($7.00)
- * Ginormous Lash Volumizing Mascara in Mudslide, a coppery brown ($6.00)
- * Plumping Serum Volumizing Lip Gloss in All American Girl, a natural pink ($6.00)
That’s seven, count ’em, seven items for under $50. Considering Hard Candy’s previous tinted moisturizer, Hint Tint, cost $28 (when first introduced in the tall, skinny bottle), and their nail polishes used to retail for about $14, the new prices for Hard Candy Cosmetics are an absolute steal (not that I condone stealing, mind you. I don’t. So don’t shoplift Hard Candy cosmetics from Walmart, kids).
Hard Candy has a full range of colors, both bold and subdued, for the eyes, lips, cheeks, nails, and face, as well as lip balms, concealers, mascaras, and a foundation primer. They also make eye shadow “tattoos” – decals you transfer onto your lids in place of shadow for a wild look.
With their irresistible display and reasonable prices, I felt like a kid in a (Hard) Candy store! If you are within the vicinity of a Walmart, you have got to check out the Hard Candy display. If there’s not one near you, you can purchase Hard Candy from Walmart online.